Tuesday, November 3, 2009

growing up


Both of my children have asked (in the past) to drive the tractor, but I have always thought that they were just too young to drive a 5,750 lb machine that would drive right through the house if you let it.  Perhaps because I have been gone so much lately and am feeling more emotional than normal or perhaps because I really felt they could handle it, I decided to let them give it a shot.

I had my son drive first; I stood on the 3 point hitch behind him as I explained how the clutch and gear shift worked along with the dual brakes and the gas lever.  I was a little nervous as I allowed him to put it into gear and release the clutch, but he did well and it went fairly smoothly.  The tractor was in 2nd gear so it wouldn't go very fast and I jumped down and walked along side my son as he drove the tractor all by himself.  As I watched him headed down the driveway, I couldn't help but get a little emotional as I thought of my little boy transforming into a young man.  His smile, look of confidence, and overall sense of accomplishment made the whole experience one I will never forget.



I also allowed my daughter to drive and she did equally well behind the wheel, but for some reason I did not have the same reaction.  She enjoyed herself, but did not seem to have that "boys driving big machinery" grin on her face; I guess that is a good thing.  Before I know it they will both be doing real work with the tractor rather than just driving it for fun.  Both of them have already asked if they can run the bush-hog and/or drive it around the drive way...  they seem to think it is like a very large go-cart.   :-)
ShareThis

No comments:

Post a Comment