Sunday, September 6, 2009

A New Shelter and a Green Goat

We have had goats for quite a while now and they have seemed fairly happy in their portable shelter, but due to repeated damage (mostly from me, not the goats) it was time to build a new one.  I decided to abandon the style that I had used before and go with a basic structure that was made of something other than wood.  Wood is great, but it is bulky, heavy and not very flexible when you accidentally run into it with your tractor.  I opted to go with a miracle of modern science - plastic
2" PVC was what I bought for the basic frame; it has a large enough diameter to be rigid, but no so big that it loses its flexibility and light weight.  For the walls, I needed to stick with something that would stand-up to the rigors of goat hooves and horns so it was back to good old plywood.  I did use the thinnest plywood I could buy; I am hoping that it lasts.  I used 1/2" pipe to make a hoop house/green house style roof and covered it with 4mil plastic sheeting.
Once it was all built I enlisted the help of my two favorite helpers in order to get it painted a shade of green that would blend with my pasture grass.  I must admit that I didn't want it to stand out too much, but the paint serves a greater purpose in that it seals the wood and prevents it from warping.  I am fairly pleased with how it turned out, hopefully it functions well.  One of the many things I did not think about was the fact that curious goats like to rub against things and do not mix well with wet paint.  I guess I should be glad that we only have one green goat.


ShareThis

No comments:

Post a Comment