Monday, December 21, 2009

- happy chickens?


I have to admit that I don't know exactly what a "happy" bird looks like, but I am fairly confident that our birds are happy with their environment.  While they may not be totally free range (more about that later) they have between 1000 and 6000 square feet of fresh pasture to roam every day.  Along side our goats and turkey, the chickens are free to eat as much grass and as many insects as they like.  I must say it is also somewhat entertaining to see they flock of birds come running when they know they are getting moved to new grass.

I know there is no scientific data (even if there was, I  probably wouldn't trust it) to prove that happy birds produce better eggs, but I am convinced that happy chickens are more healthy and make healthier eggs.  It is a win-win situation, they get to live more naturally and we get better food.






ShareThis

No comments:

Post a Comment