Tuesday, March 23, 2010

- another tragedy

I am sad to have to report that one of our kids has died.  Liberty was the first kid that had survived birth on our farm, thus her name.  For the past several weeks she has been completely healthy and strong.  I checked on the animals this morning just after midnight and they were all fine, but when my children went down this morning they found Liberty dead.  There are no apparent injuries and we are left wondering what went wrong; I am assuming that she was somehow smothered by her mother, but we will never know.

Raising goats in this manner (all natural/organic) is proving to be much more difficult than we could have possibly imagined.  Our fatality rate so far is 52%; over the past year we have had 11 of our 21 goats die for various reasons.  I am very disheartened and am seriously considering abandoning the idea of raising goats long term.

We are still grateful for God’s grace and we love the experiences we have had and continue to have, but I will miss the little one who was our first born at Liberty Pastures.

ShareThis

No comments:

Post a Comment